Thursday, July 26, 2012

How to dress youthful without looking like you are trying too hard.

Hello everyone. I've noticed that these days, I sometimes find myself looking in the mirror, wandering if what I'm wearing is age appropriate. The thing is, I still feel so young and yet I know that my body is not quite were it was a few years ago. I was telling a friend a few days ago that I have just a few more years to wear shorts of a certain length and that I know the time is coming when I'll have to take the length of my shorts about four (4) inches lower. As much as I want to dress as young as i feel, I am only too conscious of the fact that there are very few things worse for a woman than the perception that she is an 'old mama youngy' (I'm sure y'all know what I mean by that).

So how can you dress in a way that makes you feel young without coming across as trying too hard or inappropriate? Well there are quite a few of them.

Jeans.

The cool thing about jeans is that you can wear them whether you are two or twenty or forty or sixty years old. The only problem I see with older women wearing jeans is that most of them, especially over forty, tend to close their eyes to what the current trends are and go for cuts and washes that were trendy when they were younger. No matter your age, get yourself a pair of jeans in a cut and wash that flatter your body and you can be sure of being appropriate AND sexy.

Dresses.

Again keep your eyes open for current trends. Pretty print or block colored dresses in bold or pastel colors that show some skin (but not too much) make any woman look feminine and youthful. They soften your look and make you seem less of a matron. If showing skin is uncomfortable, you can always throw on a cover up.

Body Shapers.

These little miracles in fabric form help you life and pull in any dangling or bulging bits. They help you hide your flaws so that you can wear clothes that you ordinarily wouldn't and give you an attractive silhouette. There are many brands and types to help you with your hips, thighs,stomach, breasts and even some for a total body lift. Be sure that it is firm but not tight as you don't want to spend your time uncomfortable.

A sexy bag.

The wonderful thing about handbags is that they don't care what size you are so every woman can partake. So please forget the big, bulky, matronly handbag and get yourself something with attitude. There are enough bags that are practical but yet have character and they help give you a youthful look.

Shoes.

Another thing that you can go all out with are sexy shoes. As long as it doesn't affect your posture, you can wear any height, any color and any style.

Make up and Hair.

As you get older, the mantra becomes "less is more" when it comes to make up and hair. With make up you want to look natural as you get older. That is not to say that you can't do a smokey eye or bold lips. What it does mean is that you must not have too much going on at once.

Hair should also be natural looking. Avoid overly long weaves or shouting hair color. Simplicity is the key.

I hope I've been helpful in some way. Till me meet again, hopefully soon, remain fabulous.

No comments: